This Moment in Fight Scene History: The Raid Redemption

Think I'll make this a regular feature on the blog.  Maybe not a weekly kind of thing, more like a when the spirit moves me.  I have never been one of those "Hey did you know..." when it comes to media, especially movies.  I'm all about scenes, memorable moments.  The action genre, especially martial arts, has been a favorite since I could remember (I must've watched "Five Element Ninjas" a million times as a kid.)  The wire work, the choreography all combined to form a ball of awesome for the young Mr. Brooks.

I will use these entries to showcase the good, the bad, and the so bad it's good in cinematic brawls.  Hopefully, video included.  Well, let's get to it.

I'm going to jump right into the deep end.  "The Raid: Redemption" is an instant classic.  Non-stop action from end to end.  The fight scenes are brutal, rooted in reality yet leaves room for the fluidity and grace of a Kung Fu flick.  Oh...and a shitload of people get their shit pushed in...it's awesome.

If you haven't seen this movie, stop reading holla at your Blockbuster Redbox Netflix queue and give it a go, trust me on this.  Those that have know I could do one of these for every fight scene in the movie.  However, I think the scene that shines brightest is the final fight. Andi/Tama vs. Mad Dog.

You have moments in films where the final confrontations are built up very well and then the payoff is lackluster.  Not in "Raid's" case.  This donnybrook is just about seven minutes of 100% organic ass whooping.  All five foot something of Mad Dog is handing out that work double time.



Usually there's strength in numbers, but Mad Dog makes it a handicap match for Tami and Andi, alternating between who get's a knee in the face and a kick to the gut.  Each side falling down, then getting back up to take/give more punishment...then the "oh shit" moment happens....

I'm not going to type anymore.  Just bask in the awesome:


You liked this post? Subscribe via RSS feed and get daily updates.

0 comments:

Post a Comment