Why didn't someone warn me growing up that when I became an adult I would permanently have to put my dreams and desires on an ever growing ever present back burner? They tell you coming up you can do anything or be anything yadda yadda yadda...it's true, but then it's not. Maybe I've "lost my dinosaur" (if you've seen Step Brothers you know what I'm talking about) and I've let the corporate sharecropping suck all the drive out of me. The gift is still there, but so is the muck and mire. Clean up my mess, then it's back to the pen.
I never totally took my writing seriously. In reality it wasn't even supposed to be for everyone's eyes. I used writing to deal with whatever it was going on in my life. Kept it to myself mostly due to the fact I really didn't let people get close to me. Shit these were my issues, my loves and my hates. No way I'm letting some random ass person into my notebook. Plus, I didn't think my shit was that good. Maybe it wasn't, but when I started leaking pieces I would get plenty of positive feedback.
Today, I rarely even get a chance to pick up a pen. It isn't even about not having anything to say. Truth be told, this blog is just full of excuses and I need to cut out the bullshit.
I can appreciate my niece, she's balancing her responsibilities and time to hone her lyrics. I need her to get into somebody's booth, she's a monster.
Going to Waste
Posted by
Melanin Brooks
You liked this post? Subscribe via RSS feed and get daily updates.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
you are like a male version of me. this was like I was reading about myself, lol. honestly, we need more from folk like us.
Stop making excuses then nigga and get to it
Post a Comment